Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nappy Time

After an hour of trying to fight with my son to take a nap and threatening him with taking off his favorite neon plaid socks, provided by Great Nana.  I have, defeatedly, decided that the best course of action would be to bring Gavin into our bed (last time I attempted this was when he was a baby) and “snuggle up” in hopes that he will give in to sleep and I can continue about my day with independence.  So, we lay in bed and I pretend to sleep and close my eyes.  I hear him turn his head and giggle as he whispers, “shhhhhh, night night mama.”  “Perfect,” I think to myself as I run my hands through his hair; however, my fingers get stuck as I realize that I missed a whole section of head cleaning up after his applesauce lunch.  How did that happen?  I have to open my eyes to figure out how my fingers will weed through the encrusted mess and notice he is smiling.  “Hey mama…wake up?” I can’t help but giggle to myself.  “No, it’s night night time Gavin.  Close your eyes.” I see his eyes close tight. Knowing that it will only last a few seconds, I close mine as well.  His head turns again and he murmurs, “Mama Dada Mama Dada…” Thank heavens that this is usually the end of the tunnel towards sleep I think.  I keep my eyes closed to ensure that he will think that this, indeed, is the end of the road and I have won the nap battle once and for all.  I feel his head turn, again towards me, and listen to him breathe.  Suddenly, I feel hot soured milk blowing in my nose.  It’s enough to make me want to throw up in my mouth, but I endure on because I know I can’t give in…I’ve come so far.  This lasts for minutes and I, finally, hear a rhythm of breathing that is a sure fire sleep.  I open my eyes and gaze at my son.  He continues to breathe rotten milk breath at my face and I think of this future nostalgic moment and know this is why I became a mom.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you!! And so excited that I have another blogging friend!! :) Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abby! You were inspiring.

    ReplyDelete