Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Who knew?

My heart skips a beat as Todd says, "Walk to Mama So" and Sophia giggles practically running my way.  Who knew that I'd be just as wrapped as Dada around her little 2 inch fingers?  Not I.  I was always convinced that I was a "boy mama" and couldn't see myself as being under the "spell" of a little girl.  However, our little "cupcake" has taken my heart with her as she skips along through life, giggling, cooing, screeching and smiling. How lucky am I?

4 days from now, we will be celebrating So's 1st birthday! Whoa-too fast for me.  I find myself tearing up often as I think of all the minutes lost.  How did it escape from me?  Didn't I just do crazy dances to get her to make her first giggle?  Didn't I just give her cereal for the first time or watch as she crawled across the floor?  Wasn't that just a second ago?  People say to cherish it and that it "flies by," but what they don't tell you is chisel it into your memory, because it's a feeling that isn't always with a picture.  Usually, the best ones are ones that aren't captured with a video, but the moment is gone.  So, hold onto it tight.

Looking back on her "birth-day," I think of my first memory of her.  Her voice...screaming out loud to say "I'm here! AND I'm hungry!!"  Mama instincts kick in and you feel the rush of love flowing through your body as if you're in a fright or flight situation.  It is in that moment that I knew, secretly, that no matter how much I would convince myself that she would be a "daddy's girl," she would really be a "mama's girl" too.  How blessed I am to have such a beautiful little girl in my life? Take a look...

She holds my heart.  Who knew she could have so much power?  God did.
Happy Birthday my darling Sophia, my sweet little "cupcake!"

1 comment:

  1. Marnia, your mom gave me the link to this blog because I'm a blogger too and really love reading others' stories. Sophia is so beautiful and her hair is just TOO CUTE. The time really does fly by...My youngest is about to turn 3 and I look back and have no idea where the years have gone. Children are such a blessing, but they don't age at a normal pace!

    ReplyDelete