Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dead End Drive Time

When going home in the evenings, I allow Gavin to "drive" us home by giving me directions.  My goal is for him to learn directions as well as have a little fun with new places...within the neighborhood. We've  had many explorations over the weeks that I've been doing it and he absolutely loves it.  "Please go right, Mama." "Please go left, Mama." (I hear a snicker) "Please go that way, right, Mama." (more snickers) "Please go left, Mama...yeah! DEAD END!"



This is the point that he begins laughing pretty hysterically, because he brings me to the only part of the neighborhood where I actually have to maneuver myself out of an awkward dead end.  He snickers the whole time and then systematically states, "That was fun mama, let's go home."

Occasionally I allow Gavin to "drive" with me rather than give me directions.  This is when Gavin gets to sit in the front seat, with the car in park, and push all the buttons on the radio.  This is especially fun because he has figured out how to find the "Mickey Mouse" song on CD 1, track 1.  He'll let the song play all the way through and then hit CD 2, track 1, my music.  Gavin will then look at me seriously and say (every time) "awww, Mama's music" (with a smirk, because he's sneaky) and let me listen for about 5 seconds and then change it and laugh, because he knows he is in control...not me. I love watching this whole scene go down because he gets such joy in the whole "driving" process. Vrooooom.

No comments:

Post a Comment